Hi, I’m Kat. I am a photographer and writer in Oregon balancing my artistic practice with a family, a corporate job as an engineering program manager, and a growing business as a photography teacher of eCourses and on location workshops. Here at Kat Eye Studio you will find examples of my artistic work along with ways to engage in your own creative journey with photography and writing. Through sharing my personal experiences, I strive to help you find the confidence to share your unique vision of the world too. Join me.
Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Photography is meditation, expression and revelation. It’s a way to express my feelings, a way to process what’s going on around me, and a way to be in the moment. I pause to observe details in the greater world and photograph them, and I work to create the same feeling of “pause” in my photography-based art. The type of “pause” can be meditative or surprised; curious or joyful. I seek anything that stops thought for a moment, allowing the world to be perceived in a different way.
I am greatly influenced by the places I live and explore every day. Over the last few years my photographic work has shifted from urban scenes to forest elements, reflecting a move from Milan, Italy to Corvallis, Oregon. I have also moved along the spectrum from literal and representational to abstract, taking photographic elements out of context and recombining them into something new and different. I am currently creating new work using an iPhone camera and apps, enjoying the experience of experimenting with a new process and seeing what possibilities may appear.
Places to Find Me
- MobileMagic III, group show juried by Michelle Bates, Lightbox Photographic Gallery, Astoria, Oregon, October 2013
- PhotoZone 25th Annual Juried Show, group show at The Emerald Art Center, Springfield, Oregon, July 2013
- Ekphrasis: Photos Speak Out, group show in the South Santiam Hall Gallery, Albany, Oregon, April 2013
- Howland Community Open, Pegasus Presentation Prize winner, The Arts Center, Corvallis, Oregon, March 2013
- Photography at the Edge, 2013 themed exhibition at Newspace Center for Photography, Portland, Oregon, February 2013
- Taste and Flavor: Salty, group show in the David Joyce Gallery, Eugene, Oregon, January-March 2013
- Oregon Waterways, group show in the Giustina Gallery, Corvallis, Oregon, December 2012
- Taste and Flavor: Spicy, group show in the David Joyce Gallery, Eugene, Oregon, September-December 2012
- Market/Wheels Series, joint show with Phil Coleman in the Corrinne Woodman Galleries of The Arts Center, Corvallis, Oregon, April 2012
- The Nature of Oregon, PhotoArts Guild group show in the Giustina Gallery, Corvallis, Oregon, November 2011
Writing and Articles
- Series on Smartphone Art for Seek Your Course
- Smartphone Art 1: How to get a good photograph with your smartphone
- Smartphone Art 2: Improve your images with basic editing
- Making Space for All That Matters for Seek Your Course
- Mortal Muses collaborative photography site, every two weeks from August 2010 through March 2012.
- The Connection for Shutter Sisters
- Recognizing your Photographic Style for MasteringPhoto.com
- The Care and Feeding of Inspiration for Ramblings and Photos by Ashley Sisk
- Shared Story for Do What You Love For Life
- Balance for Elizabeth GLZ
- 2010 Word of the Year: Accept for Christine Kane
- Lessons from Abroad series for Jenny Shih
- Change Up Your Schedule
- Find a Regular Practice
- Get Out of Your Comfort Zone
- Put Ideas on the Table
- Join the Blogosphere
- The Lessons from Abroad series continues on The Kat Eye View of the World blog periodically.
- Your Favorite Senses for Creative Every Day