Photo-Heart Connection: June

The spare chair.

It beckons.

It doesn’t look comfortable, nor especially pretty. But for some reason, it invites me to come and sit down for a while. It begs for a friend to sit across from me. Sipping a cup of tea, and watching the world go by on the sidewalk beyond.

I can feel myself on this chair. Sitting forward on the edge. My feet on the lower rail, wrapping ankles around the leg. My elbows on the table, my hands around my cup. Looking intently at my companion, as she talks.

I can feel myself shifting the chair, the sound of metal scraping on concrete, to turn the chair out from the table. Leaning against the hard back, legs crossed, as I quietly watch the busy street. Cars going by, pedestrians moving in and out of shops. Snippets of conversation and laughter float by.

The world moving around me as I sit. And watch. And listen. And observe.

The spare chair beckons. I think I’ll sit for a while.

My Photo-Heart Connection seems to be about rest this month. It’s about pausing for a moment to just watch the world around me. Instead of charging ahead, moving forward, always being the one with a plan. But maybe not cushy rest… the spare chair invites me to active rest. Observation as part of the environment. It is fitting, as I head away on vacation for a week, to be reminded of what I need to do. Watch. Observe. Listen. I am so anxious to get to a new place with my camera, to explore again. This has been a month full of creativity with my painting and my printing but not in the way of quiet observation that so calls to me in photography. The spare chair reminds me of what I need to do this week.

I’ll be away from the computer much of the week, but I will be coming by when I can to visit all of your Photo-Heart Connections. Don’t be surprised if I’m late this month. I hope that those of you participating will pick up my slack and visit each other. As powerful as seeking your own Photo-Heart Connection is, there is power in witnessing the heart connections of others. We learn to see deeper, to see differently, from each other. We may find our kindred spirits on this journey through life. I’ll see you back here on the blog in a week or so.

Comments

1. nancyjean says

Hi Kat, I just love your post this month! the photo and words…all so amazing! enjoy your holiday and rest!

I enjoyed your pulled back chair photo which symbolizes rest and invites you to sit down and just observe for a while. I know the feeling! Enjoy your peaceful time!
    Sandra

Love the shot of your chair, hope you enjoy sitting & observing over the next few days- you are such a busy lady!

We all need this reminder to sit and rest a little; observing and enjoying life! Hope you have a restful vacation! I’ll be looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

Great photo and interpretation, Kat! I’m so glad you’re getting some vacation time, and actually unplugging for a bit. Everything can wait. Hope you have lots of time to sit and do “nothing”.

Kat – happy unplugging!!! By the way, may I sit next to you and watch the world go by? Beautiful photo and heart-full message.

• Kat says

I would love to meet you for a cup of tea and a chat as we watch the world go by!

Super composition and color in this piece! Hoping your enjoying the fun and realization of a vacation. I’ll be linking in later this week, as I’ve been busy with a bit of vacation fun and distraction, too:)

Darn iPad puts in words for me when my spelling is off! Supposed to be relaxation and of course, you’re…. My error. Guess that’s what I get for going too fast!

• Kat says

Aaaah, auto-word correction. We love to hate it. :) I just got home, am catching up… it’s going to take a while!

Yes, what a great connection….makes me think about how I have been frustrated lately feeling like things just don’t seem to be clicking (no pun intended). I’m thinking maybe that’s my clue to also slow down and just observe. I hope you are getting that much needed rest and quiet observation and with your camera.

I love the colors of the worn paint on that chair. I hope you have a restful and refreshing vacation, Kat. I’m looking forward to seeing what inspirations you bring home this time!

The world keeps pushing us to go faster and faster. It is important to sit across from that special friend and just listen or watch as the world goes by. I hope that you are enjoy a restful vacation.

Yes. Rest… sounds lovely. Why do I have trouble with that as well? I’m glad you have recognized this need and are taking care of yourself.

Hi Kat,
    I love your story but the pictures too, they are great, I love the color of the chairs in special.

• Kat says

So sorry! I just got home from vacation and saw that the category didn’t update correctly. It’s fixed now. I hope you will join in next month!

Trackbacks