And it begins…

It starts with a trickle, and will end in a flood. Not water, but mail! The Liberate Your Art Postcard Swap becomes official for me when the first postcards arrive. I’ve received four envelopes so far, one from our first international participant, yay! There are 210 artists signed up so far for the swap, but there is plenty of room for more. Please continue to share with your artist friends! Send them to the Liberate Your Art page on my site or share the Facebook Event. So exciting!

One great thing about a swap with artists is that they sometimes like to decorate envelopes! As they come in, I’ll share a few here on the blog. Today’s beautiful mail art is from Marie Johanson. I love the bright colors and the glittery symbol for beauty. Thanks Marie, for this little bit of happy mail!

And it’s time to share some of my own painted art, for Paint Party Friday. I continue to work on both paintings I started two weeks ago. One of them I love how it’s going, I’m sharing the progress on that one here. It’s not done yet, but I feel like it’s getting close. I know what to do next.

The other, well, I’m really not happy with it right now so I’m not going to share until I push past this point. I just want to stab my brushes through the canvas I so dislike it at the moment. Maybe that’s what I should do! Any advice from you regular painters, on how to move forward on a piece you do not like?

PS – And would you like to help me win a Vespa? Read more here.

Comments

Regarding your ‘unsatisfactory’ painting … when that happens to me, I hang it on a wall. If, after two weeks I still haven’t thought of a way to finish it, I ether paint over it or throw it away.

On another matter: I’m in England. How do I send you the return postage for my cards, please ?

Regards, Chris.

• Kat says

Thanks for the advice Chris! As for the postage, you will pay me via Paypal and I’ll purchase the postage to send back to you. The link for Paypal payment is in the welcome email you got when you signed up for the swap. Look in the “What to send” section.

Hello Kat, your blue painting is like a big wave of blue cool sea, it’s full of freshness, perfect to gaze at on a hot summer’s day. If I am painting a piece I don’t like, well I just keep layering until I feel happy with where it’s going. Sometimes we just have to let it go and put it aside and we may learn to love it over time, or just be pushed to start over with something new! So happy your postcard swap going well! Sorry not to participate in this, just too busy with my 2 sons and 1 year old daughter…happy to try and blog once or twice a week and share a little with you all out there, take care Kat and enjoy your week-end and summer solstice. In France it’s “la fête de la musique” and I can hear music rocking outside my window in the village, such a party and celebration of summer!

I plan to get my postcards sorted this weekend – I’m still trying to decide what to put on them! It must be so exciting having these all arrive with you – I’m looking forward to getting them in the post again this year.

Your sea painting looks amazing with the additions of the ‘bubbles’ on it. As for the painting you aren’t loving – I’m not the best person to ask as I had one recently I’ve done over 4 times and eventually painted the whole thing black and painted an entirely different subject over the top then looked at photos of the previous re-workings and thought ‘actually the very first version wasn’t so bad, wish I’d kept it!’ so my advice is DON’T do that!! lol. Maybe just leave it hanging somewhere you can see it for a while and possible what it needs will just come unbidden into your mind when you least expect it.

Looks complete to me ~ love the swirling energy of the painting ~ relax and let it sit ~ it will tell you what it needs ~ if anything. ~thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

How exciting to begin getting the postcards! How cool that you coordinate it and get to see them all! Your blue work is fabulous. This is one of my favorite color combinations is blue and green- ocean colors.

Why are the postcards not just sent as postcards? I was in a swap once where we sent fabric and paper postcards and they went through the mail just fine. I do agree her enevelope was pretty and fun to get too, however.

I like your big blue painting. I see water and soap bubbles! ;-)

I rarely see a painting I do not like so I have no advice on what to do…I guess I’d throw them away or just keep them to reuse the canvas later.

• Kat says

Hi Lynn! The postcards are sent back out as postcards, after I receive them and swap them. That way all participants get 6 postcards (5 from other participants plus 1 from me). If I just swapped addresses and had everyone send their own postcards out, many people would not get their full 6 postcards because someone didn’t send the postcards out. Last year’s swap had only 70% of the people who signed up actually participating, so that would be a lot of missing postcards!

Oh Kat, it is great to see you painting!! What I love about it is that it is soooo different than your photography. Its a whole other side of you. The blue painting is beautiful and full of energy and motion. As for the one that is giving you trouble.. my advice it to paint over it and use it as a background for something brilliant. I think churning over something that isn’t working is a waste of energy. Call it a stepping stone, learn from it and let it propel you forward to the next step. Happy PPF

I love the movement of this painting, like waves splashing joyfully!

I usually set a piece that’s not going well aside, and come back to it later. If I still don’t like it, I gesso over it and start over. Good luck!

i love the colors of that piece you’re working on. and for the one you’re not too happy about, i sometimes just leave it for another time or do a light coat of gesso to see how that works. it’s great to receive snail mail, isn’t it?

I wish I had some advice for how to get past a piece you feel isn’t working. I just ruined something earlier this week after being too hasty with my watercolors. I just decided to accept it as a learning experience, specifically if you feel something’s not working–trust your gut, and take a break from it rather than push on impatiently and make it worse.

Off topic, beautiful painting–I wish I could dive into those swirls–they look so cool and bubbly and inviting.

Also love that envelope and that its sender took the time to create such festive looking calligraphy.

Love the blue piece–the spiral is such a powerful symbol.

As for the painting you don’t like–I usually do one of three things: 1)put it away for a while, either where you can see it or not, depending on what you think will help the most, 2) gesso right over it while you sing a happy song, or 3)just keep going…

I recommend number 1.

Well, I think it’s gorgeous! It looks like waves in the ocean! When I’m frustrated with a piece I’m working on, I walk away from it and literally hide it away where I can’t see it for a couple of days. Then I’ll take it out again and look at it with a new perspective! Hope that helps!! Thanks for sharing!! Happy PPF!

The blue swirl painting is coming along beautifully, I enjoy the movement and engery that it has.

As for the painting you are not happy with, there are a few options, it depends on where the piece is at. There have been many great suggestions already.

I have few slight variations to add.

If you are not quite sure about it and don’t know what’s bothering you: Just before going to bed place the painting somewhere where you’ll see it first thing when you wake up. I find this helps to get a untainted first impression.

If you are not happy, but want to continue the painting: Get some paint and either dribble, sposh, dab, throw or brush it on randomly in areas that you are not happy with, do this with your eyes slightly closed so you can see the general area of the surface but no detail, this will free you up a little.

If you do not see a future for the painting: Put it away in a cupboard for a few weeks and forget about. Come back to it later on and make your final accesment. Or you could follow John Singer Sargent’s line of practice and wipe off (or I quess gesso out in your case, I’m assuming it’s dry) and start with a good foundation.

Good luck with it. Xx

The choice of blues in this PPF painting is gorgeous.
    As far as the unfinished painting. You can try looking at it in a mirror, or hang it upside down. Both these things trick your brain and sometimes you notice a glaring bit you never noticed before. Also try putting it in your photoshop type program and turn it to black and white or grayscale. Then you can see if the values are what you wanted.

Ouch, I happen to like it. I put mine aside for a week or a month and when I get back to it, it’s not so bad after all. I do that with my writing too. Works for me. Blessings, Janet PPF

16. Pam Parker says

I have sent my postcards off today. I am an sending mine from Australia so I am sure they will make it on time. Have also used the PayPal link to cover return postage. Am excited to be part of something this huge.