Photo-Heart Connection: February

Life is sometimes messy and complicated. We may get a bit weathered as we go along. We may occasionally be battered by events and use. Everything is not always as it seems. The facades we build can crumble and fade over time.

And yet… We can create a beautiful composition out of that which is weathered and worn. The imperfections we hate to show the outside world create interesting character and depth that would not otherwise exist. We aren’t perfect. We can’t be perfect. Should we even try?

Imperfection and texture is more interesting in my photography, why shouldn’t it be in my life? Would I rather have my life perfect and glossy? No. I learn from the imperfections. I gain depth from the experiences that are uncomfortable, no matter how much I hate them in the moment. I am who I am, because of what I’ve experienced.

So it’s once again time for me to embrace the mess, the imperfections, and see what new compositions I can create.

Welcome to February’s Photo-Heart Connection! As in January, my choice for the month could not be anticipated. After last month, I didn’t even try to guess! Apparently, this lesson about accepting imperfection and mess as part of life is one I continually need to learn. It comes up for me again and again. Thankfully, the love of imperfection and texture in my photographs helps to show me the way to this life truth.

Do you have continual themes that arise in your photography? Consider what these recurring themes tell you about yourself. Finding these themes and exploring them is part of the power in the photo-heart connection.

It’s your turn to share your photo-heart connection. The link up below is open from March 1 through 7. If you have any questions about participating, read the guidelines in this post here. As a reminder, this project is open to everyone, regardless of whether or not you’ve participated in my courses in the past. I look forward to learning more about you in this month’s photo-heart connection.

Comments

Kat, I really want to thank you for giving us a platform in which to share with others, I truly look forward to learning through others images.

“So it’s once again time for me to embrace the mess, the imperfections, and see what new compositions I can create” . . . this hits close to me right now….I’m on crutches because I’ve done something to my knee and not sure of the outcome. It’s my photography knee, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little freaked out about it. You have reminded me that as much as I don’t like it I should embrace where it might take me in my own compositions right now!!

• Kat says

Kim, I’m sorry to hear about your knee – I hope that you heal quickly! Looking at it from the perspective it will bring you a new way of looking at things is positive and inspiring.

It’s an odd thing, but it’s often the imperfections that I find most interesting and love the most about people, places, and things. I can only hope mine are equally endearing to others!

Thank you for another thought-provoking post, Kat.

• Kat says

It’s so true! The most interesting people are the ones who haven’t taken the straight and narrow path through life.

I love what you wrote here. It’s strange, I find imperfection in other people and other things fascinating and really appealing and yet I go to great lengths to hide my own. I really need to work on embracing them and learning from them.
    Love your image here, gorgeous textures.

• Kat says

Thanks Becs. I find it amazing we are willing to accept imperfections in others yet not ourselves. We are our own worst critic!

Love these thoughts Kat. Your image is loaded with textures shapes and lines. And you’re right, imperfections.
    Imperfections. Are there Perfections? I am a perfectionist, but that is an exercise in futility. I suppose when my brain gets throughly embraces that, my perfectionist self will take a vacation and drink rum punches and relax. I wonder what I’m waiting for.
    Thank you for the PHC. I enjoyed so much visiting the other blogs last month, tho’ it took awhile, it was worth it. Looking forward to treating myself to that again over the next few days.
    Happy day to you Kat.

I love your comment that life is messy. No matter how much we try, as long as we’re living, it’s very true, whether it be messy because of choices we made or because of relationships we have. Thanks for sharing and allowing us the opportunity to share with you and this community!

Embracing the mess… I love that line. Life seems to be filled with messes that pop up and get our attention, so might as well give ‘em a hug and get on with it.

Your Photo Heart Connection project is really making an impact on me! The posts that others share here are beautiful and in some ways speak to the messes we all deal with. Thank you for creating this opportunity, Kat.

Imperfections….I like to think of them as character, style and/or one’s true sense of self being expressed. Love the photo and love the writing. FYI: I seem to embrace my mess most of the time. :)

I´m dealing with embracing (this is my word for this year) even the mess and imperfection. This is not always easy, as I am a perfectionist myself, but I am trying hard… and somehow, potography is helping me to do it
    Gorgeous images and great textures, thanks!!

I love all of the textures and structures and light in your photograph. It seems so perfect, as if you had purposely placed those wooden pallets and baskets in just the right place. There is perfection in what we see as imperfection. (how deep)

Your words are very wise. Embracing my own imperfections is not the easiest thing and I can always use the reminder. It is so much easier to see imperfections in others as what makes them who they are but when it comes to myself. . . I am getting better and reminders like yours help. The textures and lines in your photo just pop and give so much visual interest.

Trackbacks